Saturday, November 29, 2008

Send good thoughts please...

We had to send roomie to ER this morning about 4. He has a possible ileus...which is basically that because of anesthesia, narcotics and lack of activity his intestines have slowed down so much he isnt passing gas or anything else. They have an NG tube down his nose into his stomach and hooked up to gentle suction to relieve the gas and pressure. Theyre going to be admitting him...this time hes in the *good* big prestigious university hospital not just their crappy (IMHO) affiliate. Begins with an E. ;)

He had seemed to be doing ok last evening...though he was feeling bloated. He had 2 enemas last night..no relief nor results...and wasnt passing gas. My former nurse spidey senses were saying SEND HIM TO THE ER. Well..we did the rational thing first- since my spidey sense sometimes get clouded by anxiety and we called his surgeon..who happened to be on call. He called back at 2:30 am...and recommended another enema "in the morning" and some Mag Citrate. Um..no..my gut told me this wasnt a good recommendation and neither roomie nor I were comfortable following it. So, I talked to the E Hospital ER charge nurse..and he recommended we bring him in right away. I mean, just how long do you wait to see if it is an obstruction? Till his bowel perforates?? Thank you, Mr Surgeon.grrr

So his brother and his mom got him in the car and took him in about 4 am.

Send him some good thoughts please.

1 comment:

Uncle said...

Lotsa good thoughts. I wish we all worked well, and if we can't, I wish the people who fix us could always get it right.

Big huggs
Unc