Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Alarming compassion

Deeply affected by tonight's experience at The Gateway Center. Got a last minute call from William asking if I was available to help, or at least accompany a fellow YTTer- Hank to tonights yoga class. I had gotten off work at the acupuncture office early, so I was available, and said yes.

William was nursing a bit of a sore throat, so he was staying in, it was just Hank and myself going. We discussed on the way who was going to lead what- did I want to even lead, or just help out. I said Id like to do the opening centering and some warmups. We had 90 minutes to fill, so we divided it up 45 minutes each. I had no idea what warmups I was going to do, no real plan, other than beginning with the "Breathing in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out" meditation I had led Sunday in my practice teach. But deep down, I knew something would come and Id do okay. :-)

A bit of background here- The Gateway Center is a local non profit organization- which is working to end homelessness in Atlanta. From their website www.gatewayctr.org : "We are Atlanta's largest and most comprehensive provider of services to the homeless.The Gateway Center provides 254 spaces for men and 43 for women who enter into programs geared to address the underlying reasons for their homelessness, such as unemployment, addictions, mental illness or domestic abuse. The Gateway Center is filled to capacity nearly every day of the year, and frequently over 100 women and children are provided emergency overnight shelter by way of a sleeping mat on the floor of our lobby. Including those people who turn to the Gateway Center for point in time services (bathrooms and showers, laundry, clothing), we serve over 500 people every day."

Every Wednesday, William teaches a 90 minute yoga class to the homeless veterans there- they have a whole floor of the building dedicated to the vets. The men stay there up to 2 years, getting back on their feet, getting jobs, getting help with whatever they need.

When we arrived- we called the contact person to let us in. We walked to the back door of the building and were met by a staff member who opened the door. At that moment,the fire alarm started going off. Not sure if it was a drill, or a real fire, the staff person told us to please follow the others outside, and began to calmly and efficiently start to evacuate the building.

More background...at night, the lobby of the building is opened to women and children as an emergency shelter. They come in off the streets, have a meal, receive clothing, and other things they need. They lay out mats for them to sleep on at night. They are safe and off the streets for the night. I dont know what happens the next day, have only been there twice now. Tonight I actually spent time with them, instead of just glancing at them as I walked through the building. I had noticed as we were walking outside that many of the children did not have heavy coats. Some had no coat. Others, even small children had no mittens or hats or gloves. At first I thought they just didnt have time to grab them. But when we went back inside later, I did not see any by them. Standing outside, in my nice warm parka, and my nice warm fur lined hat, I realized how truly blessed I am. And I heard a voice inside me say "I have to do something. I want to do something to help them." As I stood there, I asked the angels to please wrap their wings around everyone. It was a start. Then I began to think of what I could do. How could I help. Maybe start a drive for coats and mittens and such at Jai Shanti. Still 2 weeks left before the studio closes, I could get a box together and put up signs. I could do this. No child should not have a warm coat.

After the "all clear" was given, we went back inside- again, I was impressed with the staff, only 2 women directing and controlling the people, who were a bit unruly as the time went on- it was very cold out, and many either didnt have time to grab them, or really didnt have coats or blankets or anything very warm on. As we stood in the lobby waiting for the staff to say it was okay for us to go upstairs, I looked around at the women and children getting ready to bed down for the night. There werent many blankets around. They had sheets, and a few pillows here and there. I kept coming back to the blankets. No blankets? Even inside, at night it would get cold. I could not imagine being able to sleep with just a sheet over me. On a concrete floor, on a mat just a few inches thick. Again I thought, what can I do?

We went upstairs and got the room ready for the yoga class. 5 men joined us, many of them asked questions throughout the class, about the benefits of yoga, about breathing, about alternative treatments. They were eager to learn, eager for their bodies to be more limber, for their minds to be calmer. It was a joy to hear their questions, and to share my own experiences with yoga and pain relief and many other benefits I have received in the past 4 almost 5 years of practice. Throughout the class, my mind kept returning to the lobby, those women and children with very few blankets to go around. What could I do? How could I help?

The class ended, Hank and I found someone to let us out. We spoke with him a bit about what they needed, if they had blankets- yes, but could always use more he said- what things he felt they could use. He replied "Clothing always, especially for children, hand towels and washcloths, razors, soap, coats- especially for children, hygiene products."

My mind started turning again. Picturing a box, (or boxes!!) at Jai Shanti, filled to overflowing with coats, hats, mittens, clothing, blankets and supplies to be given to the Gateway Center.

Going to put those boxes out to be filled tomorrow. :-)

Feeling very blessed.To have a warm home to come to, warm clothing, food in my belly, loved ones, and that I have a heart, which every once in awhile opens up, and asks "What can I do to help?"

No comments: